Friday, May 10, 2013

On Cooking: French Toast Version Two

This time, crispier and drizzled with maple syrup.

THE INGREDIENT LINE-UP, AND THE HOW:



(I had already dared to post awful pictures, you know. SO YES, I DARE AGAIN.)



I tweaked the procedure and ingredients a bit, following another survey of the kitchen that yielded maple syrup (good-bye, sugar of the previous version -- there is such a thing as too sweet) and cheese pandesal, which I ended up not using anyway. It smelled a bit too funky for me, and my knowledge of cheese having been mostly acquired through Quickmelt, how was I supposed to know cheese odor can get that bad? New bread hadn't arrived yet, but I was able to find the dregs of a loaf stashed in some nook in the fridge.

Cinnamon not being a fixture in my diet and I being unsure if I'd like it with maple syrup, I decided to flavor only two of the four (irregular) pieces of bread I had, and sprinkle it in, rather than pour a spoonful. Probably several pinches.

A splash of milk this time, defined by me as the application of the aforementioned liquid within the space of one to two seconds, after which the liquid is withdrawn.

The rest you know. Beat the eggs. Dip -- not marinate -- the bread. Coat the bottom of the pan with butter. Toss the bread into the pan and smell the sizzling melted buttery goodness. Flip when the bottom side of the bread acquires a nice brown finish. Pour the desired amount of maple syrup.

Producing thus:



VERDICT:

The only thing I had to worry about the cinnamon and maple syrup adding up well was there not being enough of the cinnamon. The non-cinnamoned tasted like pancakes (translation: :D), except, you know, made of bread.

More maple syrup. Drown it all. Maple syrup makes everything better.

I like a little crispiness better, which means the Rule of Transference might just apply: how you prefer your toast will likely be similar to how you prefer your French toast.

But my toast crispiness is uneven -- some pieces, and some parts of some pieces, have none. Better work on that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment