Tuesday, April 23, 2013

On Cooking: Chef Todd Mohr Videos for the Beginner Cook

As I'd mentioned, formal education has corrupted me enough that I tend to fall back on The Lecture when learning something new. Standing in the kitchen watching an egg cook is fine and all, but the note-taking! The rules/theory/whatever! It's the nerd in me. Give me a sit-down and then bring in the DIYs and Trial and Errors all you want, I'm now Empowered by Information, ha!

Image courtesy of imagerymajestic at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
The Reluctant Gourmet (hereafter mostly referred to as RG) has articles upon articles, yes, but let me make a detour:

Chef Todd Mohr of webcookingclasses.com has a youtube channel, too, where he preaches his golden rule: Cooking Methods > Recipes. Which is endorsed by RG. "Cooking is an art form...open to artistic interpretation," Mohr says in the bottommost-and-I-assume-from-a-skim-and-common-sense-also-the-oldest video. Recipes are merely "one person's specific ingredients and...instructions."

Mohr's an engaging speaker, so it's a lot easier to lose track of time going through his videos. Some of note to beginners: tips for Buying Knives, Choosing Pots and Pans, Dicing Onions, and his mini-lectures on the basic cooking methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment